R. M. Holt, Inc. P.S.
R. M. Holt, Inc. P.S.

Contact and Appointment

R. M. Holt, Inc. P.S.

195 NE Gilman Blvd, Ste. 102

P.O. Box 1317

Issaquah, WA 98027




195 NE Gilman Blvd., Suite 102

Issaquah, WA  98027

We continue to have the same mailing address and phone numbers. 



175 NE Gilman Blvd.

Issaquah, WA  98027



425 392-5335










Or use our contact form.


Business hours

8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday

Estate Planning, Wills and Trusts

Issaquah Estate Planning

Serving:  North Bend, Maple Valley, Renton, Snoqualmie, Fall City, Bellevue and Carnation Estate Planning Lawyers


In the course of our more than five decades of serving people in Issaquah, North Bend, Snoqualmie, Fall City, Bellevue, Carnation and King County, attorney Richard M. Holt and our firm have prepared more than 1,000 estate plans. At R. M. Holt, Inc. P.S., our goal is to help individuals and families make plans that ensure that their wishes are followed and their assets are protected for future generations.


A Guiding Hand During Estate Planning

Attorneys Richard M. Holt and John Murphy are honored to help people prepare their estate planning documents. We feel that our experience and knowledge can be of great benefit to our clients as we help them plan for unexpected incapacity and asset distribution after death.

We have significant experience in drafting and reviewing many types of estate planning documents, such as:

  • Wills
  • Advance health care directives, also called living wills
  • Bypass trust planning with wills
  • Revocable living trusts
  • Irrevocable trusts
  • Life insurance trusts
  • Health care powers of attorney
  • Finance powers of attorney
  • Guardianships
  • Probate

Several of these documents should be carefully drafted so that a person's assets are distributed according to his or her wishes after death. Other documents help ensure that a person's wishes for medical care or financial decisions are followed if he or she is incapacitated and unable to make wise decisions.


Helping Draft Estate Plans That Preserve Your Right to Decide

After working hard for many years to build your estate, you want to make sure that your property, heirlooms and other assets are passed on to your selected beneficiaries. We can help you draft wills or trusts to ensure that this happens. We can also help you select a guardian for your minor children and set up trusts in case you are unable to care for them.

If you become terminally ill or incapacitated, you still have the right to decide what medical treatment or care you want. Our firm can help draft advance health care directives and powers of attorney that can ensure your wishes are followed or that a trusted person will make decisions according to your wishes.

Contact R. M. Holt, Inc. P.S. in King County.


Estate Planning Documents to Consider:  

  1.  Durable Power of Attorney with Medical Provisions.  This is a contingent plan for you to avoid the necessity of a guardianship, if you should become disabled.  You can appoint an attorney in fact to take care of your affairs while you are still alive but disabled. 

A.  First choice: __________________

B.  Alternate:  ____________________

C.  Alternate # 2 __________________

  1. Last Will and Testament.  

A.  Name of spouse:  ______________________

B.  Name of children: ______________________________________________ 


C.  Personal Representative of your Estate:  ________________________

D.  Second Choice as Personal Representative of your Estate:  _________________

E.  Third Choice as Personal Representative of your Estate:  _________________


 You may want to consider putting a burial clause in you Will.  Some people do and some people don’t.  For example, you could dictate that you want your remains buried at a certain cemetery and/or you can ask that your remains be cremated and your ashes scattered or placed in a certain area. 


I recommend that you put a clause in your Will about leaving a list of tangible personal property.  For example, you could make a list saying that you wanted your car to go to ___X____, sign it and date it and it would be valid.  Other items to consider for your personal property list would be jewelry, pictures, antiques, etc. 

  1. Directive to Physicians.  You may also want to consider a Living Will.  I don’t know why the press calls it a Living Will, it is just a consent to your physician indicating that if the only way they can keep you alive is hooked up to machines, that you want them to pull the plug. 
  2. Community Property Agreement.

Community property is a principle of law applicable in Washington. In Washington, a spouse owns fifty percent of all property acquired during the marriage.  Unless the couple has agreed otherwise in writing, this will include money earned during the marriage and anything purchased with that money. However, if one person receives property as a gift or an inheritance, or obtained it before the marriage or domestic partnership, that property is considered separate property. 

Washington law allows a husband and wife to sign a Community Property Agreement.  This is a notarized document that transfers an individual's community property share at his or her death to his or her spouse. 

To avoid probate after the first spouse dies this agreement states that all property, including any property acquired by either person after the document is signed, is community property. This means that later gifts and inheritances will also become community property.

After the first person dies and the Community Property Agreement has been recorded, the survivor has total control of the community property. When the survivor dies, he or she may distribute the property however he or she wants.  The survivor is not required to consider the preferences of the deceased spouse.




If any of the following events occur, you should consider the potential effect on your estate planning documents to determine whether they should be amended or revised. This list is not all inclusive.



  1.  Dissolution of marriage.
  2.  Serious health problems for either spouse.
  3.  Death of a spouse.
  4.  Marriage of a single person.
  5.  Changes regarding children, grandchildren or other beneficiaries:
  6.  Birth of a child
  7.  Marriage of a child
  8.  Marriage dissolution of a child
  9.  Adoption of a child
  10. Serious health problems of a child and/or death of a child
  11. Substantial economic changes
  12. Financial responsibility of a beneficiary
  13. Net worth – substantial increase or decrease
  14. Change of insurability
  15. Change in employment and employment benefits.
  16. Substantial change in business interest (such as a new partnership LLC company and/or new corporation)
  17. Property acquired in a different state or through inheritance
  18. Retirement
  19. Significant changes in laws: State and Federal income tax, estate tax and gift tax, property trusts and probate.
  20. Moving to a different state.
  21. Death of a named executor, trustee, or guardian in your estate planning documents or your named bank or trust company has changed.


Print Print | Sitemap
© R. M. Holt, Inc. P.S.